If you’re looking to move your WordPress website from another web hosting provider to LCN.com. You’ll need to get a copy of your web and database files from your current hosting provider.
Let’s get started…
Moving WordPress to LCN.com web hosting
- Add your domain to your LCN.com web hosting. You can find out how to do this here
- Create a new MYSQL database in your LCN.com account. If you’re unsure how to do this, we’ve got a handy guide here
- Once this is setup you’ll need to import the copy of your WordPress database via PHPMyAdmin.
- Now your database is ready to go, you’ll need to upload your WordPress files to the web folder on your LCN.com web hosting. This will need to be done using an FTP client such as “Filezilla”.
- Once the upload is complete, you’ll need to edit the following sections of your WordPress wp-config.php file to link your WordPress files the database you set up earlier.
- define('DB_NAME', ‘enter database name’);
- define('DB_USER', ‘enter database username’);
- define('DB_PASSWORD', ‘enter database password’);
- define('DB_HOST', 'enter database hostname ');
Moving WordPress to a new domain or sub-domain
WordPress can be moved to a new domain or sub-domain by following the steps above. However, after the move is completed of the internal links in your website will work correctly.
You can fix this by installing a plugin such as Velvet Blues Update URLs which will update all the URLs within WordPress to reflect the change in domain.
Moving WordPress to a new directory or folder
Moving your WordPress website to a new directory (folder) on your existing hosting package is also a simple process, although you will still need to fix your links afterwards using Velvet Blues Update URLs. To change the directory, follow these steps:
- Log into your WordPress administrator dashboard and navigate to Settings > General.
- Enter the URL for the new location of your WordPress files in the WordPress Address (URL) field.
- Enter the URL for your website in the Site Address (URL) field before clicking Save Changes.
- Move your WordPress files to the new location using your preferred FTP client.