This guide will explain how to create and manage FTP accounts for domains on Cloud hosting using cPanel, how to use the file manager in cPanel and include details on the FTP client settings to connect and upload files to sites hosted on your server.If you are a customer on a LCN Web hosting plan, this guide will provide instructions for using FTP.
Creating and Managing FTP Accounts
- Log in to your WHM control panel.
- Locate and select the ‘Account Information’ heading on the left hand side and select the ‘List Accounts’ function.
- Click the cPanel logo to the right hand side of the domain you want to use.
- Locate the ‘files’ heading.
- Select the icon for ‘FTP accounts’, you can then add an FTP account by completing the following fields: Login: Username for the FTP account. Password: FTP account password. Confirm Password: Re-enter the password to confirm. Directory: (Optional) Enter to restrict FTP access to a specific folder path. Quota: Enter to set a disk quota for the FTP account.
- Select ‘Create FTP Account’.
This will then add your FTP account to a list of all the current active accounts for this domain. Here you can change the password, change the quota, delete the account or find out an FTP client’s configuration settings.
FTP client connection settings
The following settings can be used when connecting using an FTP client application:
Hostname: Enter your server IP, or domain name pointing to the server. Username: Server admin, or FTP account username. Password: Server admin or FTP account password. Port: 21
Using the File Manager in cPanel
Select the ‘file manager’ option for a domain in cPanel under the ‘files’ heading to open the file manager.
This will then allow you to view all files and directories for your site. The root folder for web content uploaded for your domain is: public_html
To upload files to a directory navigate to the directory and select the ‘upload’ from the file manager menu. This will open a new tab and where you can drag and drop files from another window, or use the ‘Select File’ function to locate them. The file manager also includes the facility to compress files/folders, or extract a compressed/archive file uploaded to the server.