How to create an A, AAAA, CNAME or TXT record
This guide is to help LCN customers in creating or editing their an A, AAAA, CNAME or TXT record to connect their domain to services. To understand the difference in these records see our guide here.
Let’s get started…
Adding an A, AAAA, CNAME or TXT record
- Login to your LCN Account and head to your Control Panel.
- Click on the domain you wish to update.
- Click DNS Settings
If this is the first time you have ever been to the DNS page for your domain, you may see a box appear entitled Activate Advanced DNS. You will need to tick the confirmation tickbox and click Activate to reveal your full DNS settings.
Now that you can see the different settings you can add the different types of records.
- First enter your Host name for your record. This will decide where you would like the record to be, e.g. ‘www’
If you would like your record to be on the root domain you can leave this blank. This is called the naked domain.
- Select the Type of record you are adding e.g. A record, CNAME record etc.
- If you have Domain Proxy for your domain, you will be able to select your TTL. You can leave this blank and it will default the TTL for you.
- Lastly enter the Result for your record:
- A – IP address
- AAAA – Ipv6 address
- CNAME – Host name
- TXT – Data
e.g. v=spf1 include:spf.lcn.com ?all
- Once you’ve filled in all your records click the Save button located at the bottom of the page.
That’s it! You have now added your new records.
Updating existing records
If you would like to edit an existing record, rather than add a new you simply just edit a record that already exists then click Save. This would be common when changing from one host to another, rather than add a new A record you can edit the existing records for ‘www’ and the naked domain.
That’s it! You have now edited existing records.
Deleting a DNS record
To delete a record simply remove the records from your list and click Save.
That’s it! You have now deleted records.