How to backup your website
Making and storing backups is an essential process for website owners. Whether it's a small personal site or a worldwide corporate site, backups are often overlooked, but they’re super important.
Before you start, you’ll need to know your FTP login details. You’ll have received these in an email from us when you setup your site. Alternatively, you can get these from the Manage Site page of your LCN account.
Let’s get started…
Backing up your web content
An FTP client is needed to create a backup. We would recommend using WinSCP or FileZilla as your FTP client, but feel free to use any FTP software you’re comfortable with. The following steps will guide you using WinSCP.
- Download, install and then run the WinSCP FTP program.
- In the Login box, enter upload.lcn.com in the Host name field.
- Change the Port number to 21.
- In the User name field enter your FTP username.
- In the Password field enter your FTP password.
- Click Login.
- There are two panels in the centre of WinSCP, the left-hand panel represents the files on your computer, the right-hand panel represents the files on your web hosting.
- To backup your files, select all of the content in the right-hand panel and drag it over to the left-hand panel.
Backing up your database
If a Web App such as Joomla or WordPress has been installed, then your website is linked to a database. Databases need to be backed up separately as they are not stored in the same location as the website files.
- First, the database username, password and hostname are needed. If you are unsure of these, connect via FTP using the details above and locate your websites configuration file.
- In WordPress, these can be found in the wp-config.php file
- In Joomla, these can be found in the configuration.php file
- In OpenCart, these can be found in the config.php file
Make a note of these details, they will be needed later.