How to enable Let’s Encrypt
Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) which is provided by the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG) to help make the internet more secure.
Let’s get started…
- Log in to your LCN account.
- Click Hosting.
- Click Manage Site, next to the domain you’d like to secure.
- Under the Let’s Encrypt section, click ENABLE LET’S ENCRYPT SSL.
- Allow up to 15 minutes for your Let’s Encrypt certificate to install.
- Your site will now load on a https connection. To make your site default to the https connection, please see our guide How to enable HTTPS for your website.
That’s it! You’ve successfully secured your website with Let’s Encrypt.
Why choose SSL over Let’s Encrypt?
Although Let’s Encrypt will allow your website to load on a secure connection, it’s still advisable to purchase an SSL certificate for your site. The benefits of an SSL certificate over Let’s Encrypt are:
- An SSL certificate can be used even if you move away from us.
- SSL certificates have warranties.
- The validation process of an SSL certificate provides more trust in a website.
- Let’s Encrypt is not compatible with browsers on:
- Blackberry OS v10, v7, & v6 (Comodo support 4.3.0 + )
- Android < v2.3.6 (comodo – 1.5 +)
- Nintendo 3DS
- Windows XP prior to SP3
- Java 7 < 7u111
- Java 8 < 8u101
- PS3 game console
- PS4 game console with firmware < 5.00
If you have any questions about whether Let’s Encrypt or a paid-for SSL is best for your website, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.