How to create an A record
A records (Address records) are part of the domain name system (DNS) and their primary use, is to link domain names to the IP address of the web server a website is hosted on.
If you've moved to a new hosting provider, there's a chance you may need to change or add A records for your domain name. Don't worry if you're not sure what this means, as our handy guide walks you through everything you need to do.
Let’s get started…
- Log in to your LCN account.
- Click Domains and Manage next to the domain you want to update.
- Click Edit DNS Settings.
- Click the ADD AN A RECORD button.
Please note: if you are editing these records, click Edit next to the record.
- In the Hostname field enter the text you want before your domain e.g. www
- In the IP Address field enter the IP address of your server e.g. 126.96.36.199.
- Click ADD A RECORD and allow up to 24 hours for the changes to take effect.
Please note: Leaving the Hostname field blank will create a blank A record. For more information see our How to set up a naked domain guide.
That’s it! You’ve setup an A record on your domain.