A records are the part of the Domain name system (DNS) which maps a domain name to an IP address. This is most commonly used to point a domain name to an server IP address.
Another popular DNS use is to help identify services or resources by their hostname, for example: mail.domain.com, ftp.domain.com, shop.domain.com. Both of these can be easily achieved with an Address (A) Record.
- Log in to your LCN.com account.
- Click the Domains icon and choose the domain you wish to manage.
- Click DNS Settings in the Current Domain menu on the left.
- Click the Add An A Record button.
- In the Hostname field enter the the text you want before your domain e.g. www
- In the IP Address field enter the IP address of your server e.g. 184.108.40.206.
- Click Add A Record and allow up to 24hrs for the changes to take effect.
New A records will normally start resolving your hostname to the IP address straight away, although you may need to do some more configuration on the server it is pointing to before it is useful e.g. add it to an Apache web server configuration.
Here is a quick demonstration
Need a hand? Search over a hundred step-by-step support guides