Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificates require the most thorough authentication process in order to be sure that any company certified is a legitimate operation. The validation process is handled by our SSL supplier “GeoTrust”.
Extended Validation Authentication in three simple steps:
Once you have purchased your SSL EV, please keep an eye on your e-mails for further information and requests for documents. To continue to step 2, you’ll need your GeoTrust order number.
To begin the validation process you’ll first need to download, complete, sign, and return the Acknowledgement of Agreement Form (PDF linked to below).
EV Validation Requirements - Acknowledgement Agreement
The signed Acknowledgement Agreement must be submitted to GeoTrust at: Email (sign and scan): firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 1-650-237-8871
GeoTrust cannot proceed with your SSL Certificate request until receipt of the signed Acknowledgement of Agreement form is received.
Following receipt of the Acknowledgement of Agreement Form, the authentication process on your organisation can begin. The authentication of your organisation is broken down into four parts:
- Organisation requirements
- Domain requirements
- Certificate requester requirements
- Order verification requirements
Below is an explanation of each.
Organisation Authentication Requirements
The following business entities can receive EV Certificates provided they are currently registered with and approved by an official registration agency in their jurisdiction. The resulting charter, certificate, license or equivalent must be verifiable through that registration agency.
- Government agencies
- General partnerships
- Unincorporated associations
- Sole Traders or Sole Proprietorships
GeoTrust must be able to confirm all of the following organisational registration requirements:
The registration number, date of registration/incorporation and registered address (or the address of the organisation’s registered agent) must be authenticated and approved.
In the event that the place of business address is not shown within Government records, a Non-government data source (such as Dun & Bradstreet) must include your organisation’s place of business address.
If the organisation has been registered for less than three years, GeoTrust will verify the operational existence of your organisation through one of the following means.
- Through a non-government data source (such as Dun & Bradstreet).
- By verifying the organisation has an active deposit account (such as a banking current account) with a regulated financial institution through a Lawyer’s Opinion Letter or directly with the financial institution.
Domain Authentication Requirements
To qualify for an Extended Validation SSL Certificate, the registration details for the domain you wish to secure must reflect the full name of the organisation as shown in the SSL Certificate request.
Where domain registration does not reflect the organisation’s name as identified in the SSL Certificate request, positive confirmation of the organisation’s exclusive right to use the domain name is required from the registered domain administrator or with a professional opinion letter.
- Domain registration details must be updated to reflect the organisation / business name as included on the SSL Certificate request. This can be done via your LCN.com account in most cases.
- Where domain privacy is in place, LCN.com will temporarily halt the privacy feature to reveal the registered information directly from your domain name details.
** At no extra cost, LCN.com can allow this to occur temporarily whilst your domain details are assessed by GeoTrust.
- The organisation’s "Certificate Requester” must confirm knowledge of the organisation’s domain ownership during the verification call.
Organisation’s Certificate Requester Authentication Requirements
The person identified in the in the certificate request (Certificate Requester) must be employed by the requesting organisation and have authority to obtain and delegate EV Certificate responsibilities.
- Employment and authorisation cannot be verified through the organisation’s web site.
- If the Certificate Requester identified in the certificate request is listed in government records as a corporate officer (such as Secretary, President, CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, CSO, Director, or equivalent), then organisational contact employment and authorisation can be approved without verifying this information as described below.
GeoTrust must be able to confirm the following Certificate Requesters information:
- Certificate Requester’s identity, title & employment via an independent source.
- That the Certificate Requester is authorised to obtain and approve EV Certificates on behalf of the organisation. This can be verified through one of the following:
- A Lawyer’s opinion letter.
- A Corporate Resolution.
- Directly contacting an executive of the organisation and confirming the authority of the organisational contact.
Order Verification Requirements
GeoTrust must verify the certificate request and all certificate details with the Certificate Requester identified in the certificate request. GeoTrust will contact the Certificate Requester using an independently-verified telephone number.
This telephone number is obtained through one of the following methods:
- By researching qualified telephone databases to find a telephone number. Ensure your organisation’s primary telephone number is listed in a public telephone directory.
- As provided in a Lawyer's Opinion Letter.
- As confirmed during a site visit conducted by GeoTrust
During the verification call, GeoTrust will verify the following with the Certificate Requester:
- The name of the Certificate Requestor identified in the certificate request and his or her authority to obtain the Extended Validation certificate on behalf of the organisation.
- Knowledge of the company's ownership and right to use the domain identified in the certificate request.
- Approval of the Extended Validation SSL Certificate request.
- Acknowledgement of signature of GeoTrust SSL Certificate Subscriber Agreement that includes all Extended Validation terms and conditions.
If GeoTrust is unable to verify any of the required information on your certificate application, they may request you to provide a Professional opinion from a lawyer or accountant to verify the information
GeoTrust’s Validation Requirements:
SSL Certificate Subscriber Agreement: